Monday, October 10, 2011

My Favorite Fall Soup

I know thousands of people - probably millions - are happy fall is here. I, however, am not one of them. I am a summer girl! I'm not saying I like it when it's in the triple digits, but I do like it to be around 80. I also love all the sunshine. I find it totally depressing when the sun isn't up when I drag myself out of bed and it's down long before dinnertime... Okay, before I start going off on a tangent, let me get to the soup part of my title. I do love soup, and I love it any day of the year. I make it often, and mostly in the slow cooker. Last year I discovered a pumpkin soup recipe in a Halloween magazine that I fell in love with, and today I decided to make it for lunch. I haven't had it for at least six months, and it was delicious. I thought it was even more delicious than any of the times I've made it before. Because I enjoyed it so much and I love to share my favorite recipes, I thought I'd post it here.


The recipe and photo are from Taste of Home. You can link to it here. Enjoy!






Pumpkin Corn Soup


Prep: 20 min.          Cook: 25 min.


Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice

  • Directions
  • In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until almost tender. Add the corn, jalapeno, garlic and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer. (I had a fresh zucchini from our garden and decided to add it. I sauted it with the onion and red pepper.)

  • Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt and cayenne until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Yield: 7 servings.

  • Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 120 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Pumpkin Corn Soup published in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p50




No comments: